Tuesday

Midget Robber

I've really done it this time.

The other day I heard a noise and panicked.

It was a terrible noise. The sound of sawing. It was coming from the air vent and from where I was standing, it looked like a little knife was coming through the vent itself and sawing back and forth.

I turned white.

I ushered the kids into one of the bedrooms and dialed my husband.

Me: "Honey there's-somethingcominginthroughthevent!!!! I don't know what it is but it's making a terrible noise and it looks like a knife and I'm freaking out!!"
Him: "What?! What??? Honey if someone's coming into the house, call 911!"
Me: "I'm not sure! I don't know what this sound is!"
Him:"Well what should I do!!!"
Me: "Come home!"

We hung up (he sounded pissed) and he headed home. Then, of course, the noise stopped. And I looked closer. The knife? Yeah. It was a piece of rubber attached to the air filter. No knife. (I'm short. I can't see that far up when I'm panicking.)

Oops. (I think I'll just make him a nice cup of hot coffee for when he gets home...)

So my husband comes home, takes out the filter and peers into the vent, which, incidentally is a really really small opening, so my culprit as my husband says, would have had to been a "midget wielding a knife."

Oh boy. (I had no idea how big the opening was. It's been cold out lately! Is it that hard to believe that someone could have gotten into the attic to keep warm? And then maybe wanted to come into the house through the vent? How could I know???)

I don't even want to think about what his office thinks of me. (I'm gonna "Paris Hilton" that one...)

But the terrible noise, as it turns out, was a dirty air filter clanging around in the vent. We have one of those permanent kinds that require hosing out, rather than the disposable kinds, and at least once before, when it's gotten dirty, I've gotten scared by its clanging sounds in the middle of the night a few times, usually when my husband was away on a business trip.

Yeah, I'm of the paranoid variety. Especially when I'm the "man" of the house.

So just know, robbers, or tiny men climbing through the airvent to come and get me, that I am ready and prepared to call my husband to come all the way home from work and fight you. So go ahead. Try me.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Hehehe, I am the same way about odd noises. That's awesome. Glad you are OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way. My husband thinks I am a nut too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!

I love comments. Who doesn't love a good comment?