Tuesday

Coming Soon...

mantra monday

What's your mantra? Does it change daily? Do you need to keep hitting the refresh button in your life? Is there something you repeat in your head every day, every hour, every week, just to keep going?

Mine changes by the minute. Sometimes it's one word: "discipline," "focus," "strength," "believe." Sometimes it's a slogan: "Believe in your run," just "One More Mile," or a song: "This may be the only opportunity that I got" (Eminem), "Pump It" (Black Eyed Peas), "That that don't kill me -- can only make you stronger" (Kanye West).

It depends on the moment, really. On what I'm doing.

Am I on the treadmill and am I spent? Am I needing to really dig deep here? Am I at a crossroads in my life? Do I wish it were naptime (for everyone?) Am I just plain FED UP?!

(Am I hungry?)

As I entertained the idea of the triathlon a few weeks back and started perusing web sites like beginnertriathlete.com (thanks to Google), do you know what sold me?

The triathlete attitude. The TRI-ANYTHING attitude. The Just-Tri-It. I found out something interesting. That the triathlon is like the Statue of Liberty of fitness. The people who do it lovingly and joyfully welcome everyone (the tired, the sick, the weary, the overweight, the couch potato...) into their little club with open arms. Beginners? Newbies? They love 'em!

What a supportive group of people!

And if you don't believe me, just hit up one of their forums, specifically the "Tri'ing for Weightloss" section where there are constantly little challenges and smack talking between members for everyone, from moving every.single.day and reporting it back, to losing the last 10, to training for an Ironman over 5 years (hmmmm.....)

People who have never run a day in their lives are trying this. It's like the new "little black dress" of sporting events!

But even more than that, I noticed a theme across the tri-message boards. Each member has a motivational quote on their profile. There's even a quote section. Articles. Pep talks. The motivation is literally pouring out of its web-pores. Because triathlon training isn't easy. And while everyone seems to know that, it doesn't seem to bother anyone. They're constantly focusing and refocusing and everyone knows it's easier to do in a group with motivation, with support and challengees and challengers.

And you don't have to be doing a triathlon to need that. That's pretty much the biggest metaphor for life that I can think of. Everything about it, in the big picture, is rewarding. It's just the "getting there" that's tough.

So starting next week, I will be suspending "Fat Ticker Fridays" unofficially (with the option of bringing it back because honestly, the FTF has been in my life for so long that I may just make a shorter version of it...) But I will be starting a new installation here called "Mantra Mondays." And I'd love it if you'd join me!

I know that in the coming months, my biggest physical goal will be the triathlon, but my big-picture-goal will be more about balance. Harmony. Because each of the things in my life will take ginormous, concrete, bold commitments and like anything, if one wheel slips, the others don't work quite as well. So instead of Fat Ticker Friday, where I focused on what happened each week, I'd like to switch gears and focus on what I can make happen that week. And that's more about what I'm about these days. Making something (anything) happen. Looking forward instead of looking back. Or maybe while also looking back would be more accurate.

Anyway, if you wanna join, here's how it works.

1. Fill up your coffee cup.

2. Sit down at your computer on Monday morning (you know, start the week off right...)

3. Write a post about what's going on in your life, what will be your mantra for the week. What you will repeat in your head, what quote, song, word, you'll be living by. Whatever you'll use to keep going. (And if you're blank, all the better -- go visit other people to find some inspiration!)

4. Leave your link on good old Mr. Linky right here so everyone can stop by for inspiration delivered by you. Then go visit some other people betwixt coffeeing so that you might feel inspired on that particular dreary Monday morn.

5. What's the goal here? Sometimes you just can't come up with inspiration on your own, especially when you really need it. I'm always about the "it takes a village" mindset if you want to make something in your life happen. I mean, sure you can do it on your own, but why should you? Especially if all these wonderful people are here doing the same thing! Safety in numbers as I always say...

6. That's it. Linky, post and visit. Stay motivated. Keep it real.

See you next Monday? Bright and early? Here's a button if you want it...


Mantra Monday




Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. I will join you. Mantra Mondays....

    It will be fun. Count me in.

    Meg from Lower Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm there, girlfriend! :-)
    (And how did I miss this post??? I'm glad you linked to it from the Friday post...now I've got time to think about this over the weekend...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT idea! I just posted my first Mantra Monday (wrong day, but a new tradition!)
    http://www.tuffystales.com/2009/07/mantra-monday-day-late-but-new.html

    Thxs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! great idea!
    here is this weeks post!
    http://www.lotusflowerherbals.com/2009/10/mantra-monday-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great when I join this. As great as projectboobies

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!

I love comments. Who doesn't love a good comment?